Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bertold Brecht: Reflection 1

Reflection 1:  March 24th, 2014

The theme that my group and I chose was religion. The reason for choosing this theme from Brecht’s play was my strong feelings towards some parts of religion. I believe that religion is predominantly supposed to unite people but nowadays it’s used for reasons other wise. The play that I will be writing will show how religion is used to disempower woman in the villages. The disempowerment is done thorough different ways but I will be writing about a rather controversial side.
The story is based on a girl who was raped by one of the villagers. She needed comfort since she was in a lot of mental and physical pain. She wished to seek help from her parents but they turn her down blaming this case on her. She used “religion” to kick her out of her home.
I will be using the same structure as the Caucasian Chalk Circle with 3 characters. The extract, which I will be following, is from Act 4 (When Grusha goes to her brother’s home) I have written a draft of the chorus below:
Chorus: Mina crouched in pain as she had studded across the village in her torn clothes, headed towards her home. When she had reached her destination, she yearned to be comforted her and warmed under the thick blankets near the fireplace.

“Come in dear, where have you been? Are you all right? Do you need help? Everything will be fine, don’t worry” They will say, she thought as she longed to tell them the dreadful story of pain and misery. She finally knocked on the gate waiting to be welcomed by Hasin and Sakina her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment